Friday, July 12, 2013

Tamatari aaloo

I was lazy today to make lunch so I while checking out my fridge I found some boiled potatoes(that I boiled last night). I wanted to be quick so thought of making aalloo tamatar ki sabji :)

When I was young I see elders fasting in navratras and eating some special food during these fasts. I never missed this gravy since then :P

So here we go :

Ingredients :


  1. 2 tablespoon refined oil
  2. 3 medium potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
  3. 3 medium tomatoes
  4. 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  5. 1 green chilli cut into small pieces
  6. 1 1/2 inch ginger grated
  7. salt to taste
  8. red chilli powder
  9. pinch of hing
  10. Fresh green coriander chopped
  11. pinch of turmeric (optional. I don't use it though)

Method :


  • Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
  • Add ginger and hing and let it cook for two minutes. (Add turmeric at this stage if you want to add it)
  • Puree tomatoes with a hand blender or mixer grinder and add them too. Cook tomatoes for 4-5 minutes or till oil separates.
  • Add two potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces and leftover 1 potato should be mashed and then added. It makes gravy thicker and gives good texture.
  • Add 1 1/2 glass of water and let it come to boil.
  • Add green chillies and let the boil continue for another two minutes.
  • Switch off the flame and add fresh green coriander.
  • Serve hot with puri, chapati or rice.



Try this recipe and let me know your reviews :)




4 comments:

  1. Pureed tomatoes. Interesting. I always added chopped ones. I think your version is better for it will make the gravy thicker. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am trying it tomorrow..thanks

    ReplyDelete